Welcome to the TeslaCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rene Ritchie
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
    Mobile Nations

Global Posts
    2,615 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long do the batteries keep a decent charge level? And what happens when they stop?

I've used mobile devices long enough to know that phone, tablet, or laptop, Li-On batteries get to a point where they stop holding a charge long enough to be useful.

What happens with Tesla when the batteries drop to 60% or less? Does Tesla swap them out for you? Is there a cost?

Don't laugh but this is seriously one of my biggest fears!
    xandros9 likes this.

Global Posts
    77,882 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PIN
    No
    People I know who've had the car for about 3 years haven't noticed any significant battery dropoff. I've had mine for a little over a year, and haven't seen any change. The battery warranty is vague about this issue (I'm sure purposefully so)--it only states that Tesla will replace any "malfunctioning or defective" battery, but also points out that it does not cover normal degradation over time: https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/de...rranty_2.1.pdf. There doesn't seem to be any official word on what is considered normal degradation, but in this thread, an owner was told by a Tesla service center that anything more than 20% degradation within 8 years was considered abnormal: https://forums.teslamotors.com/forum...rranty-model-s
    xandros9 likes this.

Global Posts
    552 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read 8-10 years should be good. Will probably depend a bit on use and conditions (heat/cold). If you need to swap out at that point, probably worth while if the vehicle is good, but of course it is at significant cost. I doubt that Tesla is going to cover anything at that age, though hopefully some sort of exchange program exists.

My concern is keeping decent range even when in harsher conditions with heater or AC.

Posted via the Tesla Central App for Android