Notice that during the Model 3 prevention Musk never said that supercharging would be free (like it currently is on the Model S and Model X).

https://www.teslamotors.com/model3 page states "Supercharging Capable"

It will likely either be an option (as it originally was on the Model S) or pay per use.
    zocster likes this.
    04-01-2016 11:42 PM
    Oh, I thought in the unveiling that he said all Model 3's would be able to supercharge. I understand "being capable of supercharging" as meaning that it has the necessary hardware installed. Unless they're talking about charging just to activate that hardware, which doesn't seem like Tesla's style ...
    04-02-2016 12:38 AM
    True but it wasn't free on the original Model S. He has nearly 2 years to respond to demand and find a solution that will work. I suspect there will be 2 options: A) you pay a one time upfront access to super charger network. or B) Pay as you go I'm curious to see what others think may be other options.
    04-08-2016 05:02 PM
    More then likely free if you upgrade the battery, my understanding is that in a lot of places Tesla would have a really hard time charging for superchargers on a per use basis.

The cost of the electricity used is much lower then the cost of setting up a billing system would be.
    04-23-2016 04:59 PM
    Oh, I thought in the unveiling that he said all Model 3's would be able to supercharge. I understand "being capable of supercharging" as meaning that it has the necessary hardware installed. Unless they're talking about charging just to activate that hardware, which doesn't seem like Tesla's style ...
    I was reading an article yesterday about this very thing. Specifically about the battery. All batteries would be the same, so you'd buy a car with a 70kwh battery, and be able to unlock the 75kwh with an extra charge. For logistics all cars would just have the 75kwh battery and if you wanted the extra power, it'll cost you $3000. The article likened it to going to a specialty shop to have your ECU reprogrammed for extra horsepower, except you're doing it OTA from the manufacturer. Wouldn't be surprised if they did this for other things (like autopilot).

This also lets you get in the door with a car and expand it as needed, and as money allows, but everything is already installed.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    05-07-2016 06:18 AM
    Along with the battery upgrade makes a lot of sense for managing it. Though I wish I could pay per use since I would typically not be taking advantage of it except for the occasional trips.

Posted via the Tesla Central App for Android
    08-08-2016 07:25 AM